Skip to main content

Phantom Limb: What It Really Feels Like to Lose Your Favorite Person

The tea is cold by the time I remember it’s there.

That’s usually how the quiet sets in—not with a sudden crash, but in the small, empty spaces where a habit used to live. For a long time, my entire internal weather was dictated by a single person. Every text notification was a lightning strike; every hour of silence was a slow, suffocating barometric drop. They were the lens through which I saw the world, the anchor that kept me tethered to the surface.

And then, quietly, the anchor was cut.

The Silence of Losing a Favorite Person (FP)

People talk about breakups like they are dramatic productions—shouting matches, packed boxes, slammed doors. But the loss of an FP is different. It’s an amputation performed in total silence. One day you are sharing the entire architecture of your mind with someone, and the next, you are staring at a stranger across an invisible, uncrossable chasm.

The hardest part isn't even the absence. It’s the phantom limb syndrome of the soul.

I find myself drafting messages in my head that I will never send. A funny thought crosses my mind, a weird shadow falls across the wall, a song plays on the radio—and for a fraction of a second, my muscle memory reaches out to share it. Look at this, I think. They would love this.

And then the realization rushes in, cold and sharp, filling the empty room: They aren't listening anymore. To them, you are just a ghost haunting an old address.

What Does the Loneliness Feel Like?

It’s a strange kind of loneliness. It’s walking through a familiar city and realizing every street sign has been written in a language you no longer speak. You realize how much of yourself you handed over, piece by piece, until your own reflection feels foreign without their gaze to validate it.

I wonder if they ever cross that bridge in their mind. I wonder if the memory of me ever catches them off guard on a Tuesday afternoon, or if my existence has been cleanly, effortlessly erased from their timeline.

Probably not. They moved on. They stepped out of the storm and into a warm, quiet room.

And I am still here, standing in the rain, learning how to keep my own heart beating without anyone else holding the rhythm. It’s quiet. It’s impossibly heavy.

And God, I miss the noise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Illusion of Stability

From February 13th to February 17th, I felt normal. Stable. Five whole days of something that almost resembled peace. For a brief moment, I let myself believe it. That the new pill had finally kicked in, that maybe—just maybe—this time, things would be different. But the night of February 17th shattered that illusion. I felt it slipping away—the normal version of me fading like a mirage, dissolving into something darker. And I could do nothing but watch as I spiraled, deeper and deeper, back into the pit I thought I had finally escaped. I tried reaching out. Called someone. No answer. Tried again. Still nothing. I was alone. Work was done for the day. I had nothing to keep my mind occupied. I tried watching Marvel movies—the ones I used to love—but they felt distant, meaningless. My thoughts were racing. A crushing anxiety wrapped around my chest, and I felt like my head was going to explode. Panic took over. I picked up the blade again. A few more cuts and an emoji on my right wrist—s...

The Breaking Point

  Okay. It’s broken. The normal spell is shattered, and everything is chaos again. It happened today—sudden, sharp, like a switch flipping without warning. One moment, I was holding it together. The next, I wasn’t. Words were spoken, actions followed, and just like that, I was unraveling. I tried to contain it. Swallow it down. But the weight of it pressed against my ribs, lodged in my throat like something jagged and unrelenting. I was at a friend’s room for Iftar, surrounded by people, playing my part. For the most part, it felt as normal as things could get for me. But then it happened. Someone said something—offhand, derisive, laced with accusation. They called me nagging when all I had done was confirm something that involved them. A small fracture. I told myself to ignore it. But then came the second blow. I asked the same friend to bring something. Something simple. They refused. I thought they were joking because why wouldn’t they be? It wasn’t as if I had asked them to bri...

Still Here, Still Breathing

  Today didn’t crush me the way the last few did. The weight was still there, pressing against my chest, but just a little lighter. I stepped outside, felt the air on my skin. I even got something I had been waiting for—a moment I had envisioned countless times, believing it would bring relief. But when it arrived, it was like unwrapping a long-awaited gift only to find it hollow inside. I didn’t do any work today. I tried—I really did. Opened my laptop, stared at the screen, ran my fingers over the keyboard as if the right words or logic would just appear. But my mind felt fogged, heavy, unwilling to cooperate. After 3 PM, I gave up. There was no point in forcing it. I dropped an email explaining that I was sick, turned off my laptop, and let out a breath I didn’t realize I was holding. Then around 4pm I actually felt sick. This happens to me. Some days, I work relentlessly, losing myself in the flow, achieving more in hours than some do in days. And then there are days like this—...