Skip to main content

Imposter in My Own Life: When Success Feels Like a Fraud

How do I navigate life? I don’t know anymore.

Today was the worst day of the month. What triggered it, I can't say for certain. Maybe it was a culmination of things, a slow build-up of unspoken words and unseen wounds. Maybe it was nothing at all.

You are a very bad person.

My wife said this to my face.

It wasn’t the first time I’d heard those words. They’ve been thrown at me before—by the very people I once thought would stand by me. By those I’ve given everything to, sacrificed for, tried endlessly to please. And every time, a part of me wonders: Are they right?

Am I really a bad person?

The Weight of Success and the Imposter Within

I try to look at my life rationally. On paper, it should be enough. I have a job that pays well, one I actually enjoy on most days. I have a family—caring, loving, present. I have an adorable daughter who fills my heart with immense love. Objectively, I have everything a person needs to be happy. There are people who would trade places with me in an instant. I know that much.

And yet—this feeling. This emptiness. This quiet but relentless sense that something is missing. Like I exist in a world that wasn’t built for me. Like I am an actor playing a role, waiting for someone to realize I don’t belong here.

I feel like an imposter at my job. No matter how much I achieve, no matter how many problems I solve, there's always this voice whispering: You’re a fraud. You don’t deserve this. They’ll find out soon enough.

I feel like an imposter in my own life.

I have achieved so much in my career, things that should make me proud. But does success mean anything if I can’t even convince myself that I deserve it? If I still feel like a stranger in my own skin?

Maybe the real question isn’t whether I’m a bad person.

Maybe the real question is—why do I feel like I don’t deserve the good in my life?

Unravelling and the Need to Be Seen

And I cried for an hour today.

The pain was so intense, so suffocating, that I couldn’t hold it in any longer. Tears came, unbidden and unstoppable, like a flood breaking through a dam. I wasn’t even sure what hurt more—the weight of everything pressing down on me or the unbearable helplessness of not knowing how to fix it.

What am I mourning? I don’t even know.

Maybe it’s the version of me that never had to carry this weight. Maybe it’s the life I could have had if things had been different—if I had been different. Maybe it’s the small, fragile hope that keeps flickering out no matter how many times I try to relight it.

I wanted someone to sit beside me and say, I see you. I hear you. You are not alone. That none of this is my fault.

I called someone. The call went unanswered. I lit a cigarette while waiting for them to call me back. They never did. I dropped a text, a desperate attempt. I lied, saying I needed my stuff back that I had given them a while ago for safekeeping. A reply came after some minutes: I’ll come over.

They came. They asked why it was so urgent. There was some edge in their voice, perhaps irritation at my constant and unchanging behavior. And then they saw me crying.

"What happened?”

I tried to form words but couldn’t at first. Eventually, with a shaky voice, I told them what my wife had said yesterday.

They didn’t say much. No forced reassurance, no empty You’re not a bad person or Don’t think like that. Just silence. But not the cold, indifferent kind—the kind that lets you breathe, that makes space for your pain without trying to fix it.

They just sat there. They listened. And somehow, that was enough.

We parted our ways and after some time I came back home.

When the Storm Passes

An ache took root in my skull, sharp and unrelenting, as if my body itself was punishing me for letting my emotions spill over. My head throbbed in rhythm with my pulse, and I curled up in bed, staring at the ceiling, waiting for it to pass.

But the ache wasn’t just physical. It was something deeper—something lodged in my chest, in my bones. A grief that had no name, no clear beginning or end.

Maybe I don’t really want to disappear.

Maybe I just want the pain to stop.

As I lie in bed, my body is exhausted, and my thoughts are a tangled mess.

As I write this, there are tears in my eyes. But at least, for now, the storm has passed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Illusion of Stability

From February 13th to February 17th, I felt normal. Stable. Five whole days of something that almost resembled peace. For a brief moment, I let myself believe it. That the new pill had finally kicked in, that maybe—just maybe—this time, things would be different. But the night of February 17th shattered that illusion. I felt it slipping away—the normal version of me fading like a mirage, dissolving into something darker. And I could do nothing but watch as I spiraled, deeper and deeper, back into the pit I thought I had finally escaped. I tried reaching out. Called someone. No answer. Tried again. Still nothing. I was alone. Work was done for the day. I had nothing to keep my mind occupied. I tried watching Marvel movies—the ones I used to love—but they felt distant, meaningless. My thoughts were racing. A crushing anxiety wrapped around my chest, and I felt like my head was going to explode. Panic took over. I picked up the blade again. A few more cuts and an emoji on my right wrist—s...

The Breaking Point

  Okay. It’s broken. The normal spell is shattered, and everything is chaos again. It happened today—sudden, sharp, like a switch flipping without warning. One moment, I was holding it together. The next, I wasn’t. Words were spoken, actions followed, and just like that, I was unraveling. I tried to contain it. Swallow it down. But the weight of it pressed against my ribs, lodged in my throat like something jagged and unrelenting. I was at a friend’s room for Iftar, surrounded by people, playing my part. For the most part, it felt as normal as things could get for me. But then it happened. Someone said something—offhand, derisive, laced with accusation. They called me nagging when all I had done was confirm something that involved them. A small fracture. I told myself to ignore it. But then came the second blow. I asked the same friend to bring something. Something simple. They refused. I thought they were joking because why wouldn’t they be? It wasn’t as if I had asked them to bri...

Still Here, Still Breathing

  Today didn’t crush me the way the last few did. The weight was still there, pressing against my chest, but just a little lighter. I stepped outside, felt the air on my skin. I even got something I had been waiting for—a moment I had envisioned countless times, believing it would bring relief. But when it arrived, it was like unwrapping a long-awaited gift only to find it hollow inside. I didn’t do any work today. I tried—I really did. Opened my laptop, stared at the screen, ran my fingers over the keyboard as if the right words or logic would just appear. But my mind felt fogged, heavy, unwilling to cooperate. After 3 PM, I gave up. There was no point in forcing it. I dropped an email explaining that I was sick, turned off my laptop, and let out a breath I didn’t realize I was holding. Then around 4pm I actually felt sick. This happens to me. Some days, I work relentlessly, losing myself in the flow, achieving more in hours than some do in days. And then there are days like this—...